Gifted Education services for students identified in grades K-1 are primarily offered through consultation. During consultation our Gifted Specialist consults with the Regular Education Teacher to provide ideas, resources, materials, & learning contracts to help the teacher differentiate the regular education curriculum.
In addition, our Gifted Specialist is actively involved with the 2nd grade teachers at MES. She goes into 2nd grade classes to do “planned experiences” as part of the SDE required 2nd grade Child Find.
In grades 2-4, identified gifted students are pulled-out for a resource class (GRC – Gifted Resource Class) each week. In the resource class, the students are exposed to a differentiated / concept-based curriculum which may include, but is not limited to
- Content that is related to broad-based issues, theories, or problems
- Activities to develop thinking skills (Talents Unlimited, CORT, Creative Problem Solving, Junior Great Books)
- Creativity training
- Activities to develop research skills and methods
- Opportunities for in-depth learning of a self-selected topic within an area of study
- Teaching techniques which nurture higher level thinking
- Learning centers to encourage independent projects
- Units not ordinarily presented in the regular curriculum
- Training in critical thinking and problem solving
- Understanding gifted & guidance in recognizing their unique affective needs